Choosing the right SORP

The Charity Commission and the Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator, as the joint SORP-making body for charities, have developed two SORPS. For reporting periods starting on or after 1 January 2016 all charities must follow, the Charities SORP (FRS 102) that applies the Financial Reporting Standard applicable in the UK and Republic of Ireland (FRS 102). The Charities SORP (FRSSE) is only an option for financial years starting before 1 January 2016.

New SORP Information Sheet published and SORP governance consultation closes

A new SORP Information Sheet has been published looking at gift aid payments made by subsidiaries to their parent charity. For more information refer to the ‘Helpsheets’ section of this site. The consultation on the way the SORP is developed was launched on 26 November seeking views on how best to involve those interested in the work of charities in the development of the SORP. Responses have been posted to the site. This consultation closed on 4 February.

Light bulbTo see if a SORP applies to your charity, answer the following question:

Does your charity prepare accounts on an accrual basis?